Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday Night Dessert Dates

I'm always blown away by the way the heavenly father knows exactly what we need before we even say it.

Tonight was no exception. 

Time with my husband has been rare this week.  He had a meeting on Monday evening, making it after 10 PM before getting home.  On Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, he had to be at his "day job" to work the graduation ceremony, he walked in the door as I was putting Addison and Finn to bed each night.  On Thursday evening, Addison had an orthodontist appointment in the city, so the kids and I walked into our home late.  Sitting down together for dinner is a big deal in our family, but this week it was non existent.

This week our conversations have been short lived and by the end of the week we were communicating by a few short (almost snappy) text messages.  I would even place a post it note on his phone of reminders for the day.  This week wasn't a week that I would look back to say that we were "happily married".  It was more like "survival of the fittest."

Sometimes on Friday evenings, we put the kids to bed (somewhat earlier) to enjoy a date in our home of a dessert and a movie without cartoon characters.  Sometimes those small little dates end up with us slow dancing in the living room.  Other times, we fall asleep on the couch.  Sometimes, I make a good dessert, sometimes I pick up a dessert in the city on the way home.  Hiding it from Addison and Finn is the tricky part.

Today, God provided a sweet friend who provided our dessert...and a delicious one at that.

Tonight, we sat at the bar in our kitchen tasting the delicousness of different  cheesecake while sharing a  glass of milk.  We laughed and talked, and all was well in the world again and the stress of this week was long gone.

Being that we are working parents, we seldom have dates out on the town.  Honestly, I'm not sure that it is something that I would like each week.  We have such few moments as a family as it is.  I read once that before your child turns 18 years of age, that you have fewer than 1,000 Saturdays together.  Not that I'm opposed to having a  date night on the town every once in a while, but I like being able to have the best of both worlds as well...even if I'm on a date in my kitchen in my yoga pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment