Wednesday, August 28, 2019

"I Don't Feel Like I Belong Here..."


So...I have entered a new season. I am now a work from home Mom. I absolutely love it. It's a joy to take my kids to school each day and pick them up every afternoon. It's a blessing to see their little mouths singing along to praise and worship music as we make our way through the car line. I decided to do something new in this season, something that I have not done in 20 years...

I went to the gym. I should have known how this was going to go down at 7:15 that morning when my son asked me 10 times if I was sure that I was dropping him off at school while wearing my yoga pants and t shirt. I was so excited, I even took a selfie outside in the parking lot to document this momentous occasion. 

I happily walked in and told the lady who hands you a locker key that I hadn't been to the gym in 20 years and she gave me a half smile / you're pathetic look and I skipped off to the locker room. After dropping my stuff off I made my way upstairs (I totally ditched the elevator even though I was tempted). And after walking up the stairs, my anxiety kicked in to 110%. 

My first thought was to join a class, but the class that was occurring at that time said "tone" in it and everyone in there looked like they were about to complete on Ninja Warrior, so I decided that it wasn't the class for me. And besides it was already starting. I was not going to walk in "fashionably late" without anything toned on my body. Not happening. 

I decided to walk around the track. I made one lap and I was only passed by two ladies with silver hair. I decided to walk another lap and another....and another. At this point I thought that I should probably keep track of how much I was walking, but I was too embarrassed to ask one of the young 20 somethings that were working how many laps made a mile. I was super impressed that all of these people at the gym knew exactly how to work out. They were sweaty and laughing and having fun. And I just felt alone. Clueless. Because I do not know how to gym. I know the benefits of going to the gym. I see what I can look like if I make this a part of my routine. But I just don't know how to gym. 

After being dizzy from walking in circles around the track I settled upon a bike. And there were so many buttons. So I just peddled. With all of the lights flashing to pick a program or count calories. I just wanted the buttons to stop flashing. I wanted to look like I knew what I was doing. But I didn't. I felt like I had blazing red lights all around me because I was clueless about how to do this thing. I don't know how to gym. 

And then it hit me. I bet this is how people feel when they come to church for the first time. Or the first time in a long time. They feel like I did at the gym. Alone. They see the benefits of coming to church. They desire to turn their life around. They feel the calling of Jesus. But it's different and awkward. They just want to blend in. They don't want to fill out the connect card because then everyone will know that they're new here. They just want to blend in and slip out. 

So, for my fellow church loving people. Show some love to the people who look like they don't belong, because like the gym, we all belong at church. Don't get upset when someone new takes your parking space or your seat or who gets the last cup of coffee at the coffee bar. Show a little extra love and grace and give them something to smile about!


No comments:

Post a Comment