Monday, March 21, 2016

My Weight Loss Journey

On a cold February day I pulled up to the mall during my lunch break to quickly grab something for Addison.  A Valentines Day shirt...each year she had a Valentines Day shirt, but as she was getting older holiday shirts were becoming less and less common in her size.  I parked my VW way away from the mall as I always did...I hate worrying about dings from the car doors from others. There was a chance of rain in the forecast, however it was still sunny.

As I purchased what I needed and headed to the exit, I could see people coming in with umbrella's and shaking off the rain as they entered the mall.  The rain was coming down in sheets!  I of course, left my jacket and umbrella in the car at the end of the parking lot.  I had two choices...to either walk to my car and get soaked or to save as much time as I could and run to my car.

I chose the latter and dashed to my car.  As I ran to my car, I was surprised that I had made it all the way there without running out of breath.  I thought back over the past year, a year ago I could not have dashed to my car without running out of breath.  Actually, walking to my car at the end of the parking lot would have probably been all that I could have done...especially if I had to carry Finn.  A year ago I was 50+ pounds heavier.

On January 1, 2015 when I made my New Year's Resolution there were many reasons why I decided to lose the weight.  Honestly, looking better in my clothes was one of the last reasons.  My top reasons were to be able to play with my children without tiring out.  I absolutely hated being the mom on the sidelines.  I wanted to be able to run and chase my children without doubling over out of breath.  I also wanted to teach my children that I was unhealthy and I was not taking care of my one body that Christ had given me.

I had gone to my doctor 2 times before January 1, 2015 and requested to be put on a diet, however each time I failed.  I got tired of taking the medication, counting the calories and exercising.  However, this time was different....very different!

Shortly after I started my diet, I heard a sermon.  The key verse to this sermon was Philippians 4:13

 
I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
 
Philippians 4:13
 
 
I wrote this verse in many times, but I recited it daily as this:
 
 I can (lose weight) through Christ who gives me strength.
 
 
I constantly prayed this every morning.  When I craved mozzarella cheese sticks  or a peanut butter milk shake when driving home from work, I prayed that God would curve my cravings.  I prayed that God would change my eating habits and to help my children see what eating healthier looked like. 
 
 
Slowly, but surely the weight began to come off! 
 
One of the best days was when I was buying some shorts to go to FL in September.  I went into Old Navy and found a cute pair of shorts that I had been admiring  for quite some time.  The shorts were now on the clearance rack, but they were still 3 sizes smaller than I had wore in the past.  I decided to try them on and I was so excited when the zipper zipped up and there was still an inch or so of room in the waist!
 
 
Even though, I'm still not quite where I want to be with my transformation, I am getting closer each day.  I still fail miserably with my snacking and eating choices, but I am so glad that God is slowly changing me!  I am so happy that I am more active with my two children and I am living a much healthier lifestyle than I did 5 years ago!
 
 
I see so many women putting themselves down when trying to lose weight.  I have been guilty of putting my face on a celebrity's toned body in a bikini and calling myself names like "big fat cow" or "fatty" when I have been dieting.  However, I know that this is not the best solution to losing the weight.  God does not like to see us put ourselves down and he also does not like for us to compare ourselves to others.   We are beautiful creatures created by Him and when we talk negatively about ourselves or compare ourselves to others, it only makes his heart grieve. 
 
 
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
 
Psalm 139:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment