Monday, March 7, 2016

Wreath making IS NOT my calling...

Hello!

I'm still alive & breathing! 

I am sorry for the delay in posting.  Last week was a bit overwhelming to say the least.  You could say that I was buried in deco mesh....and I'm not exaggerating!

You see a few weeks ago, I "auditioned" to be in a craft show (i.e. I sent pictures of my wreaths to the business that was holding the craft show, to see if I could be selected to be a vendor in their craft show).  All of this was on a complete whim...I mean, I liked my wreaths, the people that I have gifted wreaths seemed to like them, so why not try and help my family get ahead a bit by selling the wreaths at a craft show??  Anyway, I was selected!  I jumped up and down when I got the notification!  However, I only had 2 short weeks to make all of the wreaths.  I stayed on Pinterest & Etsy for many lunch breaks, late evenings and any chance I got to open my creativeness for different spring wreaths.  Lunch breaks were spent finding the perfect pale yellow ribbon and seeing who had deco mesh on sale that particular day.  One Sunday afternoon was spent in the Wal Mart craft session for over 2 hours looking at ribbon, silk flowers, deco mesh and anything wreath related.

Through all of this, I didn't have peace about the craft show.  I ignored my gut and powered through. I knew that it was a huge time constraint and I was neglecting my family and my own spiritual needs.  I was positive that I was going to provide my family with a little extra money to get ahead on some bills.

Last week was crunch time...I made 1-2 wreaths per evening on top of caring for my family and neglecting my housework.  I stayed up waaayyyy too late each evening, only getting around 5 hours of sleep each night. I cut flowers, wrapped deco mesh, got too many glue gun burns to count, but in the end I made 20 or so wreaths and center pieces.

When Saturday morning arrived, I was exhausted.  I should have known (again) that this wasn't meant to be when I got my display all set up and it came crashing down...on my head 5 minutes before the craft fair started. With assistance, I quickly set up my display for a second time.  When the doors opened, I stood by my wreaths on the white lattice display and held my breath.  I watched lady after lady rush into the art studio and run right past me...not even looking at me (covered in glitter from all of the fallen wreaths) or my display.  My heart completely sank.  I wanted to scream "do you not see all of the hard work that I have done"?? 

Two hours into the craft fair, I had a few people stop by my display to comment that my wreaths were beautiful, a few people gave me sympathetic smiles as the other vendors sold their goods right and left as I stood their and patiently smiled.  Finally, one small frail lady stopped by and purchased a center piece that I had discounted.  That was my first and last sale of the day.

Fifteen minutes before the craft fair was scheduled to end, I called my husband to pick me up and to assist me with breaking down my display.  I gathered all of my wreaths and walked out the door.  I felt like I had failed myself, my family and I felt like I was a big joke! 

I went home and lied on the couch with my favorite grey blanket covering my exhausted body.  It didn't take long for me to drift off to sleep for a long (much needed) nap. 

I woke up later that afternoon when my husband walked into the living room and declared it date night!  A date to the small cafe in the city that I had always wanted to go.  We had attempted to go a couple of times in the past, but weren't able to go because the line was too long or parking was impossible.  Tonight, we were going to trudge through and make sure that we went!  Our children were spending the night with their aunt, so time was not an issue.  Date night was fabulous!  The small cafe was more beautiful on the inside than it was on the outside.  We enjoyed holding hands and walking on the streets and holding each other tight as we waited outside the cafe for a table (I'm sure that onlookers thought that we were on our honeymoon). 

After Saturday evening, I learned that the craft fair maybe wasn't so much of a disaster.  I learned that I often times overwhelm myself  with too many commitments.  I also learned that I can use my wreath making gifts to bless others, just not at craft fairs.  I also made a new friend, the sweet vendor beside me helped me set up my display (twice), helped me break down my display and we encouraged each other throughout the morning.  I was so happy when she sent me a friend request after the craft fair. 

Even though I didn't sell many wreaths, I would call the event a success. I just won't quit my day job to sell hand made wreaths.

I know that God has bigger plans for me.  I'm just not sure what they are just yet.  I know that God wants to bless me immeasurably, in his timing!

 
God can do anything, you know- far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!  He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.
 
Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment