Monday, October 23, 2017

The beauty of community...

It is Sunday evening at 5:30 and I have already prepared for Monday.  The lunchboxes are packed.  Dinner for Monday is prepped.  Clothes are neatly folded onto dressers complete with a clean pair of socks. Homework has been completed and signed. Backpacks are in their proper spot for Monday morning with a jacket neatly hung on the chair.  My children are loaded into the car along with my husband as we drive to life group.  Life group, because we love doing life with these people.

It all began over a year ago when I made my way to the home of the slightly older and wiser couple.  I was nervous.  I had not attended many "small groups" in my past, especially not alone.  My husband was needed at the church on the evening in which the first session of life group began and he took the children with him.  I knew the leaders.  They were a nice and friendly couple who were always encouraging.  Although, I did not know anyone else who would be there. What would be expected of me? I'm not a Biblical genius, I thought to myself.  I remembered growing up in Sunday School when I felt horrible about getting the answer wrong and those memories began to stab at me.  I arrived at a beautiful 2 story home and I was greeted warmly at the door.  Sitting on the couch was another couple of whom I had never seen before. They did not know me either, at least that makes two of us I thought...  The conversation that evening warmly flowed and I left with a connection to 4 other people and knowing more about each of them than I did when I entered the door.

As weeks turned into months, more and more people began to show up each week.  Parking began to become a problem, but no one seemed to mind as neighbors began to share their driveways, we began to creatively park in the yard and on the side of the road.  A deep bond was forming as we all began to do life with one another.  Even my children began to ask on Thursday evenings "Are we going to life group on Sunday?" "Is Mrs. Ceal going to have cookies? and if she has any left over can you please pack them in my lunch box?  Pleeeaaasee!"

Our little group has grown and decreased in size a couple of times over the past 13 months, but we have truly "done life" with one another.  We have been through births of grandchildren, moving homes across state lines, operations, sickness, vacations, financial problems, financial blessings, but one thing remains..
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:24-25



We love meeting together, studying the Bible together and bearing one another's burdens.  We are quick to listen, slow to judge and our arms are always open to love.  When we "do life" together, we enjoy helping each other out.  Regardless if it is catching a rat while you are out of town, bringing a meal if you are sick and even offering to do laundry if your washing machine is out of order.  I love my community because I know that they "have my back" whenever I may need them.



God never intended for us to do life alone.  He knows that when we are alone that we are more susceptible to the attacks of the enemy.  When we have a community of people to help us along the way we are more capable of making clever decisions and seeking Biblical counsel. 

Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. Ephesians 4:15-16


My life group means so much to me.  I am thankful that we each have different strengths and come from different parts of the country and different backgrounds.  I am so thankful that God created this group from all different walks of life to study His word together and to have fun doing it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment