Monday, February 22, 2016

Addison, Finn and the Chicken Casserole...

It was a Tuesday evening, and we were having chicken casserole.  It wasn't anyone's favorite meal (including mine), but we had all of the ingredients, it is somewhat healthy and that's what we were having.  I knew that Addison and Finn weren't going to be happy when they saw the serving of chicken casserole on their plate.

However, they knew my rule.  They had to at least try it.  Addison has never been in love with chicken casserole (it is usually a battle to get her to even try something) but she really impressed me this Tuesday evening. The beginning of our dinner went something like this....

Finn: (seeing the chicken casserole on his plate) "Oh yuck, I don't like it".

Addison:  "It's good Finn, it's chicken casserole."

Finn:  "I don't like casserole".

Addison: "It's good Finn, just try it....see, watch sister"   (Takes a huge bite of chicken casserole)  "Oh, it actually is really good."

Through this dinner time conversation,  I heard God speak to me.  Of course, God wants me to always be a "good Christian".  He wants me to read my Bible, speak positively, love others, go to church...be a good person.  It's for my own good.  When I don't do those things, I fall down a slippery slope.  After not reading my Bible for a few days, I get anxious, my mind starts to wander & I'm not the best witness for Christ.

However, when I do walk closely with God, it's an example to others as well.  Others see my desire to follow Christ and to long to be with him.  Other people may be more inclined to read their Bible after seeing the fruits of it in my life.

Sort of like Addison and the chicken casserole.  There are obvious reasons why I wanted her to eat her chicken casserole that evening.  It will fill her with nutrients, it will help her to grow, it will fill her need of hunger.  However, in doing all of that, she's teaching her little brother a good example to eat what is on his plate.

We should always strive to be Christ like because that's what we're supposed to do and it teaches others a good example.

No comments:

Post a Comment