Sunday, February 21, 2016

The best days are spent with dirt stains on our knees...



This weekend I left my dirty house and my to do list and made memories with my family.  Aside from God, the people that mean the most to me. 

We drove over 2 hours to a drive thru zoo that we have visited several times in the past.  It is one of our  "happy places".  We love this little place.  It's located in a small little farming town in the middle of our state. 

This little day trip, was a spur of the moment kind of thing. We woke up, realized that the weather was half decent and decided to hit the road.  So, I didn't prepare for it as I have in the past.  I dressed the kids in comfy clothes, grabbed a change of clothes for Finn, and a box of goldfish and a roll of paper towels.  I threw on a hoodie and put my hair in a pony tail and hit the road.

Prior to having children, I imagined that family days would be spent at a play, getting my nails done with my daughter or shopping.  I never invisioned that I would leave the home in a sweatshirt and my hair in a pony tail to eventually ride in the bed of my husband's truck to have wild animals come up to our vehicle and demand food.  However, God sometimes changes our plans for  the better!

I love road trips with my husband.  Our kids usually drift off to sleep shortly after we leave our house and it gives us the opportunity to talk.  I love hearing the stories of him growing up in South Georgia, where his Dad was a football coach.  I love hearing him tell of the fond memories that he shared with his Dad at games and practices.

After we got off of the interstate and entered the small little farm town, we loved driving by the old farm homes.  Being that we're addicted to the HGTV show "Fixer Upper", we sometimes drove by some of the houses realllyy slowly and talked about what we would do to each home. We passed a couple of flea markets and wanted to stop in, but couldn't because a) the kids were asleep and if we woke them we would end up coming home with a ratty old toy or b) someone would need to go to the bathroom, or get a snack or need to find the perfect rock from the parking lot to take home. So we continued to drive.

The zoo is terrific!  We drove up to see llamas greet us at the main gate, we paid our admission and purchased 4 buckets of food (for the animals).  On the way, we did prepare for a picnic and got subs and chips from a sub shop.  I prepared our picnic while Addison and Finn played on the most gigantic Noah's Ark playground.  I may or may not know from experience that it's the best playground because the slides and swings are wide enough for adults!

After our late lunch, we drove thru the zoo.  And because this is a journal of my families adventures (and hopefully because everyone who is reading this is over the age of 13) I can safely say that it was Mating Season at the zoo!!!  Yes, live edition of National Geographic right before your eyes!!!  Luckily, Addison and Finn were oblivious to this and thought that the animals were getting piggy back rides from each other (they came up with this on their own). 

Anyway, my favorite part was the sweet giraffe's.  I loved being able to stand up in the bed of the truck and have the sweet giraffe come over and eat from our food buckets.  We loved seeing the sweet baby giraffe that was only 6 days old and his mama so tenderly caring for him.  Soo sweet!



On the way home, Spunky wished to eat dinner at a "nicer" restaurant.  I chuckled and said "Look at me, I am covered in animal feed, my shoes are muddy and I'm pretty sure that some of the long horn cows licked me.  I don't think that they will serve us at Olive Garden."  He agreed and we settled on McDonalds (yuck!).

I am so glad that God had better plans for me than the fine living lifestyle that I thought that I always wanted.  Even though my life is often filled with stress and chaos, he has given me immeasurably more that I could have ever dreamed.  I am blessed with the dirt stains!







No comments:

Post a Comment