Sunday, February 14, 2016

Papaw & Nanny...

We love because He first loved us.
1 John 4:19
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was blessed as a child to live next door to my grandparents.  Naturally, when I was younger I would visit them sometimes frequently throughout the day.  They were always happy to see me.  I was always happy to see them, or to get Velveeta cheese out of the refrigerator  (because my mother usually didn't purchase Velveeta cheese).
 
 
Anyway, if you were to visit their home around 5:45 each evening, the scene was always the same in their small white 2 bedroom 1 bathroom home.  The home would smell of Folgers coffee because they drank coffee with each meal, you would also smell the delicious aroma of fresh biscuits and whatever they had for dinner (it was always sooo good).  After dinner they would help each other clean the kitchen before the 6:00 news.  Papaw would be wearing blue or grey coveralls and he would stand and help Nanny wash the dishes until every last dish was washed.
 
 
Papaw and Nanny helped each other, the complimented each other.  You never heard them say a harsh word to one another, or in fact about anyone.  They were always there to help out anyone, after my Papaw retired, he became a handy man.  He could fix anything!  People would call him all of the time asking him to fix this and that...and he would go and do it, day or night!
 
 
They may not have had every material possession that they ever needed or wanted, but they had love!  One of my most favorite occasions was Christmas of 2002.  Papaw had never gotten Nanny an engagement ring, but he had always wanted her to have one.  On Christmas day of 2002, while surrounded by 3 daughters, 6 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren, Nanny received her engagement ring after 60+ years of marriage.  There was not a dry eye in my parents living room.
 
 
Above everything, my grandparents loved Jesus.  When I think of a Christ - like marriage, I often think of my grandparents.  They loved Christ first and each other second.   They always sacrificed their needs to fulfill the needs of each other.  My grandparents were married for over 60 years until my Papaw passed away in 2005 in the arms of my Nanny on a warm June evening.
 
Papaw has been gone for almost 11 years now, but Nanny still misses Papaw.  She longs to have conversations with him again.  He was her best friend and her love.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment