Sunday, February 28, 2016

Is This For Us?

Mid week baking does not usually happen in my home.  Between work, church, homework and nightly chores there isn't usually time for cookie baking.

When mid week baking does occur, almost always someone strides into the kitchen to ask "Is this for us?"  You can see the anticipation of eating a home made chocolate chip cookie on their face, but you can also see the hesitation of reaching for the chocolate chip cookie on the cooling rack in fear of getting their hand smacked.  Because more often than not, the chocolate chip cookies on the cooling rack are going to a bake sale, a special event at work or a school function.

My family deserves the best.  My children are awesome and they deserve to have a choloate chip cookie in their lunch box instead of a snack pack or a Little Debbie.  However, more often than not I save my best baking skills for others.....I'm working on fixing that!

God also deserves my best.  He deserves to have a moment of my time each day, for me to be in his word and to talk to him.  God wants to spend time with me each day, but unfortunately I put him aside.  Just like my children's requests for home made chocolate chip cookies.  I make excuses such as "I'm running late this morning" or "It's Sunday and I'll get my dose of Jesus there".

For me, my best for God is waking up earlier than normal and devoting the first part of my day to him. The time before I check my facebook page, my checking account or my email.  The time before I start to pack lunches or to switch the laundry over.  It seems that when I postpone my devotion time, I get sidetracked and God does not get the quality time that he deserves.

It is truly a sacrifice to get up earlier to spend time in God's word.  Everyone who has ever spent any morning with me understands that I am NOT a morning person. I like to sleep as long as I possibly can in the mornings. However, I know that God sees my sacrifice of getting up earlier to spend time with him.  I also know that he will bless my time with him and I will be blessed in return.


 
In the morning, LORD you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait
expectantly.
Psalm 5:3 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment