Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Clean Sheets

 
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6
 


Each week, like clockwork my family knows that after waking on Sunday mornings, the one thing that I like them to do before leaving for church is to take their dirty sheets off of their beds and place them in the washing machine.

Honestly, the beds are usually bare while we are at church (whoever wrote the song "Easy Like Sunday Mornings" most likely didn't have kids, because getting kids ready for church is challenging).  So, of course we put the sheets back on our beds at some point on Sunday afternoon.

On this particular Sunday, Finn took it upon himself to attempt to put clean sheets on his bed by himself.  Most likely, because Addison has recently learned how to put the sheets on her bed by herself. When I went into Finn's room,  our conversation went like this:

Me: Hey Finn, Can I help you put your sheets on your bed?

Finn: No, I got it!

Me: Are you sure that you don't want me to help you?

Finn: No, I got it...I help myself.

Me: Okay then!

2 minutes passes by...

Finn: Moooommmm..... you help me put these sheets up here?

Of course, I smiled to myself as I walked down the hallway to Finn's room.

How many times do we do this with God? 

As I have faced trials in my life, it seems that many times I have tried to make the decision myself.  I have tried to tackle the project, jumped the hurdle...only to find myself on the ground.

However, when I have asked for God's guidance in the situation, I have found myself on the other side of the hurdle without scraped knees and with a better attitude.

Why do we do this??  You would think that after failing time and time again without God, that I would lean on his trust and understanding that things go a lot smoother when God is in the equation.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
 
Matthew 19:26
 
What we cannot do in life, like putting sheets on our bed...God CAN do.  In Ephesians 3:20, he says that he can do more than we can even ask for or imagine. All we have to do is ask him!

 
Oh Father,  I come to you this evening.
Thank you for guiding me through each situation.
Help me to remember that you are with me and your words says that you will never forsake me.
Through good times and through the trials.
Please do not ever take your hand off of me as I travel through this life.
Amen

 


No comments:

Post a Comment