Saturday, February 13, 2016

"Alligator Juice"

This evening was so much better than I anticipated when I woke up this morning.  From my last post, you could probably tell that I was at my wit's end from my busy week!  Tonight was supposed to be another busy night...chaperoning a sock hop (think junior high dance, but with lots of Kids Bop and elementary school kids).  While I love love love sock hops and getting my groove on to some Kids Bop, however I was ready for a calm evening at home with my 2 pairs of little feet.  I love that God knew that I needed a calm  evening at home, so he sent some snow.  Not too much snow, just enough!  Enough snow so that school was dismissed early(thus cancelling the sock hop), but travel was not a problem from the city where I work, to the country where I live.

Tonight was the calm evening that I had longed for.  Lots and lots of hugs and kisses from the 2 pairs of little feet, snuggles from the man with the big feet and paws on my waist when I came through the door!  Coming home is so much sweeter on the weekends, I love spending weekends with my people.

Friday nights are deemed "Fun Dinner Friday".  This week was no exception, french bread pizzas and pineapple for the win!  Addison and Finn love making their french bread pizzas, trying to see who can put more pepperoni on their pizza.  I love seeing their faces when the pesto comes out.  I've head them call pesto slime, yucky stuff...however, I liked Finn's the best when he called it "alligator juice".  He was certain that he saw an alligator in the pesto jar.

Friday nights at home usually involves a new craft project, a movie night or board games.  Tonight, we talked about using our resources at home to bless other people. We noticed that we had 4 speckled banana's on the counter, just waiting to be transformed into banana bread.  I explained to Addison and Finn that we should make 2 loaves of banana bread.  One loaf for our family and that we would gift the other loaf to our neighbor.

I'm not sure who will ge the bigger blessing of the banana bread, our 70 something widdowed neighbor, or me!  I so enjoyed my children taking turns to pour the ingredients into the bowl, discussing fractions with Addison and seeing both of my children eagerly cleaning up our mess afterwards.  Addison has such a gentle spirit and is so calm with Finn.  She always puts his needs or wants ahead of her own. 


Sweet little hands mixing banana bread!


After making banana bread, I snuggled with 2 sweet pairs of little feet and watched our favorite pig, Peppa.  Since my children are almost 6 years a part, it's challenging to find tv shows that they both enjoy.  Peppa is one of the shows that we can all watch together!


I am so thankful that God knew how much I needed this sweet evening at home.  I hope that I am blessed with many more calm Friday evenings at home. 


Looking back, this was not the life that I had planned for myself.  It's 10 times better than I would ever have imagined.  I was never certain that I wanted children.  I always thought that I would be very career driven.  My plan was to live in a big city and to travel A LOT!   I wanted to run away form the "boring small town" where I grew up and never return! At one point in my life, I even considered becoming a  flight attendant.  However, I am so glad that God knew exactly what I needed and changed my dreams.  I could not imagine living without these little feet in my home.  What view compares to the sweetness of my two children?




No comments:

Post a Comment